Travel by Automobile
- Provide a safe and comfortable spot for them in the car with their bed and/or a blanket
- Get a car harness that attaches to the seat belt
- Bring plenty of safe items to chew, like these Zogoflex durable dog chew toys
- Potty breaks every couple of hours
- Go on two 20 to 30 minute walks per day
- Play some calming classical music
- Crack the windows to prevent air pressure build up
Travel by Plane or Train
PREP THE NEW DIGS
CREATE A SENSE OF SAFETY WITH PREDICTABILITY
REDUCE STRESSFUL TRIGGERS
BACK TO THE BASICS
- reduce stress
- increase impulse control
- build a better communication system, and
- improve your relationship with your dog
The steps are simple!
- Teach your dog to say please by sitting for anything he or she wants.
- Keep your dog tethered to you and reward good behavior.
- All motivators are opportunities for reinforcing good behavior. For example, have your dog sit and stay before going on a walk.
- Use all her meals as training opportunities!
- Keep all communication clear and consistent.
Exercise and mental enrichment are also extremely important elements of every dog’s life. Be sure you are safely providing at least 30 minutes of exercise and brain games to keep your pup busy, happy, and tired. Walks/runs, kongs, puzzle toys, and scent work are wonderful ways to provide this mental enrichment and exercise. You can use your walks or runs to explore your new neighborhood! Remember — don’t expect perfection. Dogs adapt fairly easily to new situations, but there is a lot to take in. Stay calm, reinforce positive behavior, and try some of these tips. We hope you find them helpful!
Professional Pet Care
Pet owners trust us to look after the needs of their beloved companions. We are specialists committed to delivering the very highest of veterinary care and affection.